According to the draft rules published by the government, Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) examination will have a similar pattern as that of the UPSC Combined Civil Service Examinations. The following syllabus for the Kerala Administrative Service(KAS) is the expecting one based on the recommendations submitted towards PSC. If any changes occur in the given Syllabus for KAS we will update you soon.
KAS Exam Pattern
- Preliminary Examination – Objective Test
- Main Examination – Descriptive Test
KAS Exam Syllabus Prelims and Mains
KAS Preliminary Examination
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Current Events of National and State Importance.
- National Movements with Special Reference to Kerala – Political, Social, Economical and Cultural Movements.
- Physical, Social and Economic Geography of India with importance on Kerala.
- Indian Polity and Governance, Salient features of the Constitution of India, Political System, Panchayat raj System, Public Policy.
- Human Rights, Social Audit, Lokayukta, Ombudsman, Women’s Commission, Child Labour.
Sustainable Development, Poverty Alleviation, Inclusion, Social Sector Initiatives, Important Government Schemes
- Environmental Ecology, Biodiversity, Climatic changes and Disaster Management.
- Indian Space Programme, Basics of Chemistry, Biology, Physics
- Basic Facts about IT and Cyber Laws
- Vocabulary and Grammar
- Agreement of Subject and Verb
- Idioms and their meanings
- Error Correction
Reasoning Ability and Mathematics
- Number Systems, Divisibility of Numbers
- HCF, LCM
- Percentages, Averages, Ratios
- Partnerships, Mixtures and Allegations
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Time and Work, Time and Distance
- Coding and Decoding
- Direction Sense
- Letter Series, Number, Alphanumeric Series, etc
- Spelling Test
- Reading Comprehension
- Cultural Heritage of India with emphasis on the 20th century, Post Independent Indian Polity.
- Social and Cultural Movements in Kerala, Important Social Reformers, Agitations, Festivals in Kerala
- Indian economy in the Global Environment, Development and Environmental Issues etc, Basics of Economy – (GDP, Taxes), Important Government Institutions(NITI Aayog)
- Kerala Development Model, Food Security, Group Initiatives, Non-Resident Indians(NRI) and Migration, Role of Co-operatives, Women Empowerment schemes in Kerala.
- Indian Constitution, Role of District Collectors in Administration, Amendments, Features of Indian Political System
- Land Laws enacted in Kerala(Kerala Protection of Riverbank and Regulation of removal of sand Act, 2001, Ecological Fragile Land Act, 2005, Kerala Conservation of Paddy Land and Wet Land Act, 2008), Decentralisation in Local Administration.
- Information Communication Technology, Space Technology, Cyber Laws
- Regional Language – Reading Comprehension, Translation, Basic Grammar test, Literature, etc.
There will be a face to face interview to judge the mental calibre of the candidates. Interview is expected to carry a weight of around 20 per cent of the total marks.
The selected KAS officers would be on probation for two years. The probationer needs to pass the following tests after he/she gets into service within the predetermined period.
- The Revenue Test
- The Criminal Judicial Test (A candidate who possesses a degree in Law shall not be required to pass the criminal Judicial test).
- Account Test
- Survey Test